Friday 6 March 2015

From Soundcloud to the Eurovision - the journey of Molly Sterling

Everyone in Ireland has been talking about the sensational young singer Molly Sterling. What some people don't know (and I get to feel really cool about) is that Molly and I went to the same primary school, although we were in different classes we got along really well.

I remember back when Molly was posting songs on soundcloud and sharing them on facebook to all her friends and now she gets to share her songs with all of Europe when she performs in the Eurovision Contest.

Molly was very good and allowed me to interview her through facebook. This was a little weird for me interviewing someone I knew but anyway I couldn't help but go for the opportunity.
This is how the interview went. Hope you enjoy reading!

1: What was your initial reaction when you found out you won? 

Molly: I’d say just absolute disbelief. I was mentally preparing myself for the adrenaline comedown when the votes were being totted up and kind of expecting to come last because our song maybe isn’t what is usually entered for eurosvision. The whole results process is a complete magical blur! 

2: What inspired you to write this amazing song Playing with Numbers? 

M: Well, the song is based on number of different scenarios. It’s relatable for anyone I think. If you’ve had your heart set on something and took a huge risk on it, whether it’s a person, a career or anything in between, then you can relate to ‘playing with numbers’. When the gamble you have taken falls apart all that’s left is reflection on the situation really. And that’s the state of mind I’m in when I perform it, I guess. 

3: Did you think after you'd written the song that it would make the eurovision?

M: Not for one second. It didn’t even enter my mind that the song would get chosen for the National Final, let alone go on to represent Ireland. It’s all so crazy and I’m literally walking around in this big happy bubble right now! Haha! 

4: What are the big changes you've noticed since you've made it to the eurovision? 

M: People that I don’t know are sending encouragement!! From Hungary, Spain and all over the world!! It’s an amazing feeling to have support from people you’ve never met who base their support fully on your music. That blows my mind. I also feel like I can fit into who I am now because I was worried about that more than what people think about my music. It’s easy to believe in your music because your songs are your creations, your babies and you have to believe in that, it’s instinctive! It’s more difficult to have confidence in how you will come across as a person. Everyone has been so lovely though. I feel more like myself now than I ever have. 

 5: When did you realise that singing was what you wanted to do? 

M: Forever. I’ve always wanted to be a song writer and a musician. Although, I never thought it would ever happen because as an outsider to the industry, you just don’t let that enter your head. Expectations have to be managed too y’know. When I started working with Greg a year ago, he made me realise that I could have a career out of this if I work really hard and keep in touch with my music. So, with his guidance that’s what I’m trying to do. 

6: How does it feel to be the 16 year old that everyone is talking about?! 

M: Haha! Well, I know my age is a slight talking point but, personally, I base my opinions on the character of a person rather than their age. In terms of my music I’d love if people could separate my age from my music. Besides, I write from other people’s perspectives. You don’t need to experience certain scenarios to write about them, that’s what delving into the world of your imagination with songwriting is all about. Yoko Ono has a great quote actually that goes: ‘'Some people are old at 18 and some are young at 90. Time is a concept that humans created.’’


 7: Have you met anyone that you were starstruck with yet? 

M: Oh god, I get starstruck by everyone, it’s really ridiculous! Even when there’s other artist’s in the studio, we would be chatting away casually and then they play their music and suddenly I just go completely quiet. Stunning talent is all it takes to make a person starstruck! I’ve been fan-girling at just about everything in this past week though, I’m such a wuss! I still haven’t got over the fact that I was actually on The Late Late Show. It’s mad! 

8: What's the strangest reaction you've recieved so far from all of this? 

M: In all honesty, every bit of it is strange but in an amazingly exciting way. All of it is new territory for me so it’s all wacky and weird but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Waking up every morning having to give myself a pinch is the best feeling in the world. This is all actually happening! 

9: How are you feeling right now? 

M: The happiest and most grateful I’ve ever been. The support of everyone has completely baffled me. What did I ever do to get this lucky?! I’m so excited for the future. Greg and me just can’t stop smiling! Haha!

 Well we wish Molly the best of luck in the competition and I'm sure (in fact I know) she will not disappoint!!
What an amazing, talented, beautiful young lady!


No comments:

Post a Comment